Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Below please find the answere I got from IRS when asking for

Below please find the answere I got from IRS when asking for a Transfer Certificate for the estate of my dead Swedish parents. But I don't find any information in the link on what informationen IRS is asking for and how I should do to submit it. Do you know?

Best Regards XXXXX

Sweden

"Our instructions on what you need to send to the IRS to get a Form 5173 Transfer Certificate have been online since January 2012 at:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Estate-Taxes"
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Lane :

Lane :

Certain assets located in the United States which are beneficially owned by non-U.S. citizens or residents are subject to estate tax at graduated rates. Such assets include certain types of securities such as Pfizer which were beneficially owned by the deceased person at the time of death.

Lane :

"Transfer Certificate" (IRS Form 5173) is received from the Internal Revenue Service. Executors, surviving joint tenants, trust beneficiaries or other persons legally entitled to receive the decedent's assets can request and obtain the Transfer Certificate from ,,,

Lane :

the IRS SB/SE Estate Tax Group 1205,XXXXX, N.E. (UCP-CNN-730), Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN U.S.A.; telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Lane :

Customers will likely be asked to provide the IRS with copies of the estate tax return and corroborating documentation. In addition, the IRS will typically require copies of the decedent's last will and testament and codicils thereto, if any, with English translations if appropriate, as well as copies of any death or inheritance tax returns and corrective statements filed with a tax or regulatory authority outside the U.S., and a copy of the decedent's death certificate.

Customer:

Thanks Lane,

Lane :

Use the IRS contact information supplied above so you can be assisted with the documentation required. The IRS will then be able to advise you what if anything you need to send them so you can sell the stock

Lane :

You're very welcome Rolf

Lane :

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

What information above are you refering to?

Lane :

IRS SB/SE Estate Tax Group 1205,XXXXX, N.E. (UCP-CNN-730), Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN U.S.A.; telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Lane :

By the way, Rolf, once you rate, everything will stay here. Feel free to bookmark and come back for reference

Customer:

Do you have an e-mail address as well?

Customer:

I mean to IRS

Lane :

My apologies, but IRS will not use emal at all ,,, I think it has to do with the legality of formss... the clsest they've gotten to that is EFiling

Lane :

And as you can see, thier web inormation tends to be disjointed and changes from time to time

Customer:

It's very unpractical to send paper mails to USA. And I got a e-mail respons on my first letter.

Customer:

So it might be better if I try to reach them on the phone.

Lane :

I have never seen then accept emails at all... I would call and then rely on fax (as you will have a fax confirmation) Also withy the esignature act of 1990, the faxed signatures are legal signatures

Lane :

my apologies for the typos

Customer:

I sent my first mail to:

Lane :

If you'll hang with me, I'll see if I can find an email, but my suspicion is that you'll need to provide a signature (possibly via by scanning and sending?)

Customer:

Estate Tax Group, S:SE:SP:EG:EC:1206

I.R.S SB/SE Estate and Gift Tax Program

XXXXX N.W. LE-4435

Washington DC 20224

USA

Lane :

Yes, I would call ... and this information I provided is current and relative to the 5173, specifically. My firm subscribes to a service that keeps us updated. (Contact info is indexed to forms)

Lane :

When I search my database for email contacts we are told that IRS will not accept any info by email other than general feedback

Lane :

See this:

Lane : Send us Your Comments and Feedback by E-mail

Caution: DO NOT submit tax related questions below. If you have a tax question that was not answered by checking Tax Topics, Frequently Asked Questions, or Tax Trails, please call our toll-free tax assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 for individual tax questions or 1-800-829-4933 for business tax questions. We will not respond to tax or personal related inquiries submitted to this Help Desk.

Customer:

Yes I will follow your advise to call them. However, it would have been easier to follow a written discription on how to proceed. But obviosly - there is none?

Lane :

I'm afraid you have the extent of my wisdom on this :) I do, however, believe that the call is advisable (be sure to make note of the IRS employees name and ID number, for accountability purposes)

Lane :

My guess is that the situations this group deals with are so varied that a single procedure could not easily be done

Lane :

... dealing with several jurisdictions, globally, various forms of ownership and property types, some countries with tax treaties, some not, etc.

Lane :

I see you're typing. I'll wait

Customer:

I have the name "James H Truman" from IRS mail-reply. Maybe I should ask for him when calling, although has was a bit sarcastic in his answer. But it can't be so exctiting to work for IRS. Thanks for you help Lane - I'll give you OK OK OK OK OK for your support. Have a nice day. It must be early in the morning where you are

Lane :

Yes, you are my first conversation ... I DO appreciate that ...

Lane :

And you have a good REMAINDER of your day, as well!

Lane :

Can I help with anything else today?

Lane :

One last thing ... I just verified, through my master tax guide that the contact information was good and it is. See this

Customer:

I'll be coming to US in November. Does IRS has an office in NYC where I can speak to somebody obout the matter.

Lane :

Federal Transfer Certificates (International)

Estate and Gift has received many questions about Federal Transfer Certificates (regarding international issues.) For instructions about obtaining transfer certificates, contact:

Estate Tax Group S:SE:SP:EG:EC:1205
I.R.S. SB/SE Estate and Gift Tax Program
820 First St., N.E.: UCP-CNN-730
Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

For questions about transfer certificates or about the estate and gift taxation of nonresidents of the United States, use(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>. For all other estate and gift tax questions, use(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Lane :

Yes, I can get that for you, (although this will just be a general field office). THey may be able to contact this division for you

Lane :

New York (Downtown)290 Broadway
New York, NY 10007

Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Services Provided

(212)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
New York (Midtown)110 W. 44th St.
New York, NY 10036

Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Services Provided

(212)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Thanks a lot Lane. A visit to one this offices will be the hi-light of my trip to NYC.

Lane :

Yes, don't get TOO excited

Customer:

I'll try not to. Anyway - shall I leave this conversation open if I have futher questions in the near future.

Lane :

NO ... If you don't mind, please rate now so that I can hep others HOWEVER, as I mentioned before, just come back to this URL http://www.justanswer.com/tax/82kuw-below-please-find-answere-irs-when-asking.html

Lane :

I'll be here for you

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the rating, Rolf!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question

OR set me up as your preferred expert on your home page.

And again, come back here if you need more on THIS issue.

Regardless, thanks again,

Lane

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank YOU Lane. I will certainly come back to you if I need more help. You don't happen to speek Greek? I just bought a house in Greece and I can tell you that the Greek tax law is such a mess that you would be busy for your rest of your life.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.
sometimes when explaining tax law am told I SOUND as if I'm speaking Greek :)

Thanks again
Lane
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That's a good start!

Speaking Greek in Greek is the next level.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Rolf

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

I know this may sound like I'm trying to "get in the last word," but this silly system will not let me address others until I've "replied" to you and closed out the question.

The intent, I think, was to be sure no one was left hanging, but in the finance and tax area, where our answers are rarely simple, it ends up being a constraint.

So, bye for now.

But again, you can just ask for me, set me up as a preferred expert OR even come back here, when you need more.

Also, the service has just added an "offer more" feature (for some of us) that will allow us to exchange contact information and work together in other ways, when it becomes clear that this rather disjointed back and forth exchange is not really efficient.

Excited about that one ... up until now anonymity was part of the contract here (Although somehow your phone number made it through the system, the email was xxxx'ed out).

Regardless the "offer more" feature changes all that, and again, this would be for some future, different issue.

Closing out for now.

Lane