Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am the custodial parent of my children. My ex-boyfriend will

I am the custodial parent of my children. My ex-boyfriend will not change his w-4 filing status and he has absolutely no rights to claim our children. He has been gone since February 2013. Whom can I contact or what forms can I fill out to hopefully assure that he won't do his 2013 tax return before I do?...Please help:(

Lane :

Lane :

The best way to get this done? Get those taxes in first ... what he puts on his W-4 at work will only change his withholding to reflect that he EXPECTS top get the dependency exemptions

Lane :

The IRS (when tow people try to claim the same dependent?) have something called tiebreaker rules

Lane :

And guess what .. the PARENT ALWAYS WINS

Lane :

Let me get something for you

Lane :

See this:

Lane :

THis one is probably the best example I seen of putting this into plain english:

Lane :

But, again botXXXXX XXXXXne? ... He doesn't have a leg to stand on ... Just file your taxes and claim your children as you should ... and you'll be fine.

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

PLEASe ...let me know if you have ANY questions at all.

Lane :

Lane

Hi Brooke,

... just checking in HERE, since I never saw you come into the chat.

PLEASE, if you have any questions, let me know.

Lane
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he hasnt had the children and is only the legal guardian of one of the five .He wants to give me money under the table from his gain but i dont want any reason to look of my shoulder for dishonesty So, i read the link on yahoo. I have no w-2 for this year but him and i have not established any agreement and he wont even set up any visotation schedule thus why i havent worked

Again, he hasn't a leg to stand on...

You are the parent

The parent always wins

Hi Brooke,

Just checking back in.

I hope my answer helped.

Let me know...

Lane