Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I have custody of child near 100% of time. Ex pays about 1k

I have custody of child near 100% of time. Ex pays about 1k in child support a month. He pays for baby's health insurance as well. I cover all costs and childcare.
Who can claim the child as a dependent? I understand I can claim the EIC. although I am not sure what the difference between the two are.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

If you have the child over 50% of the time, then you are the one who gets the deduction and tax credit for the child

Customer: Ok. So there is not even a fight then since the child lives with me full time.
Megan C :

No, there should not even be a fight.

Megan C :

There's only a fight when you share the child 50% of the time.

Customer: Thank you
Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else you need assistance with?

Thanks for you positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today. Thanks