Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My step daughter is the record ACF for her daughters UTMA

My step daughter is the record ACF for her daughter's UTMA account maintained at the Chase Bk in the amount of $98,808.

I want to know if the Chase issue on a yearly basis a Form 1099 or similar form to the IRS and to my step daughter and if the Chase provides the balance of the account at the end of the year.

Lane :

Yes, the 2099 would be issued in the child's name

Lane :

And yes, Chase must, byt law provide a statement of some sort ... it IS possible that the custodian on the account chose to receive statements and account information electronically

Lane :

On UTMAs, in 2013, the first $1,000 of a child's income generally is tax-exempt, the next $1,000 of unearned income generally is taxed at the child's tax rate, and unearned income over $2,000 generally is taxed at the parent's tax rate if the child is under age 19 (or is a full-time student under age 24) at the end of the year

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

Let me know if you have any more question on this at all

Lane :

Lane

Hi Carmen,

… just checking back in here, as I never saw you come into the chat.

Let me know if you need anything else at all on this ...

Lane