Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

theres a way to respond to the IRS or NYS Tax department to

Customer Question

there’s a way to respond to the IRS or NYS Tax department to abate penalties because late filing or late paying tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Customer:

fine BH

Megan C :

That's good

Megan C :

Yes, you can write the IRS and the NYS tax department and ask for an abatement of penalties

Megan C :

IS this your first time being late?

Customer:

no

Megan C :

Well, unfortunately you would not qualify for the first time penalty abatement, but all you need to do is write a letter requesting an abatement of penalties

Customer:

for what reason ?

Megan C :

Is there any particular reason you were late?

Megan C :

Did something happen?

Customer:

paid too little with the extension because i did not know the tax will be more

Megan C :

But nothing happened, like your records were lost, someone was sick, etc

Megan C :

If nothing happened, and you are just late, and you have been late before, then they will not abate the penalties.

Customer:

i didn't have the records from my clients

Megan C :

Unfortunately, that would not be a reason to abate penalties.

Customer:

my child have cancer and i was bz with him?

Megan C :

You could use that as a reason.

Megan C :

Here's a link to a sample letter - you will simply put your personalized information in the letter

Customer:

you think it s will work ?

Megan C :

CLICK HERE

Megan C :

Worst they can say is no. Doesn't hurt to ask

Customer:

its for my client not for me so say i am the accountant for this company and i was bz with my child

Megan C :

I gave you the sample letter, all you need to do is personalize it

Customer:

you think itw will work mor eif i send a latter from the hospital also that my child have censer

Megan C :

It could, I cannot guarantee that they will accept or not

Customer:

thank you will talk later

Customer:

the irs is open

Megan C :

You're welcome :-) Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

was close 2 weeks

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

just did it

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Josef for my positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax needs. I am so glad you ask for me directly! Thanks, and see you next time you come to ask a question.

Megan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How is the depreciation for

1)Plywood Thick Top 24x96x30 Folding Table $163

2)Benches 12x96x18 Plastic top $109

3) Friedrich $36,000 BTU AC $1,720

4) Stainless work table $371.70

5)Cutting Board ¾ thick 30x72 $23

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your follow up. I see that your items cost under $500. You do not need to depreciate the plywood, benches, stainless work table, and cutting board. However, if you did depreciate these items they would be 7 year property.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you