Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am a salaried employee of a California company, yet I (now)

I am a salaried employee of a California company, yet I (now) live and work out of my home in Texas. Do I need to continue paying California state taxes?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.

If you didn't live in CA, and you physically did not work there, you don't have to file a return there just because the company paying you is based there. However, you do have to file a return if they accidentally withheld taxes for that state. If this happens, ask the company to stop withholding CA taxes.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi, Frank.

I see you are now offline. If you have any further questions or concerns, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told by the my company "they are not a Texas company or registered to do business in Texas" and they would have to continue taking out taxes. Does that sound right?

Hi, Frank.

Thanks for your follow-up question.

It doesn't sound right because you do not live or work in CA. If they continue to withhold CA taxes, you do have to file a CA non-resident return. My best advice would be to contact someone in payroll or human resources, preferably a supervisor or manager, as opposed to a clerk to see what can be done about it.

Barb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Barb.

My pleasure, Frank.

If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family, friends and colleagues are also always appreciated.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Barb