Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I needed to correct my question. I am one of four beneficiaries

I needed to correct my question. I am one of four beneficiaries of my father's trust. Two of the beneficiaries are the co-trustees of the trust. I do not trust them as they have not been transparent and/or fair in dealing with his trust, and to my knowledge one of them has severe credit problems. My father died in Nevada as a resident of that state. I am a Virginia resident. They are requesting my social security number, but I am unwilling to provide it. Must I provide my social security number, or do I have another option?

I have excellent credit and would like to keep it that way.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are a beneficiary of the trust, the trustees will need your social security number because they will be sending you a K-1 to account for your distributions from the trust.

Megan C :

You giving your social security number to them will in no way impact your credit.

Customer:

they will have my full name, dob, and ssn. Can't this information be limited to the attorney, and not the trustee?

Megan C :

Whoever is responsible for filing the tax return will need the information

Megan C :

If the attorney is preparing the tax return, then you could request that it be limited to only him

Customer:

okay, thanks!

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with today, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Colette,

Thanks for the opportunity to assist! I see we were having difficulties in live chat. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. If you have further questions, please reply below. Thanks again!
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer