How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 57 and retired on a small pension. I suplement my income

This answer was rated:

I am 57 and retired on a small pension. I suplement my income with 401K withdraws. Can I take out 401K money this year to cover my expenses in 2014 thus dropping my income in 2014 to help the Obamacare bill ?



Whatever is taken out of the 401(k) and not deposited into another retirement account will be taxed in the year that it is taken out.


If you take money out of the 401(k) in October of 2013 that will counted as part of your 2013 income (unless you move it to your IRA).


But yes, you can certainly take more out in 2013 and less in 2014 if you want to have less income in 2014. Only what is taken out in 2014 will be counted as 2014 income.


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.


jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you forsee IRS issues when my income goes from $225,000 this year to $32,000 ? Next year ? I took out a large amount this year to purchase a home.

Hello again,


There is no problem with that change of income.


As you said it is easily traced to the amount that you took out.


Please ask if you need more help.

Thank you.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question, it is my understanding that Obamacare is based off of 2014 income. Have you heard anything else like income averaging for past years ? This would affect my original question.


Thank you Very much.


Hello again,


None of the increases in the 2014 tax law have any relation to income in a prior year. Those changes are only for tax years beginning after 2013.


In fact, there is much to be done for tax planning now due to the changes.

Since you are being proactive you might be interested in CCH's Tax Briefing highlighting 2013 year-end tax planning now available at:


It can be a bit technical as tax practitioners are the target audience but it is quite good.


You are very welcome.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.