Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I believe at some time (in recent years) Gross proceeds paid

I believe at some time (in recent years) Gross proceeds paid to accountants had to be filed on a 1099 or 1096. On a separate line item? True? When did this change?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

Thanks for requesting me directly.

Megan C :

The only time you need to send a 1099 to your accountant is if you are a business, and you pay them over $600. IF you are an individual, you do not need to send them a 1099

Megan C :

On the other hand if you have an ATTORNEY that you paid over $600 to, you're supposed to send them a 1099.

Customer:

However, my question does not pertain to 2013. I want to know if Accountants in recent years were ever treated the way lawyers are now.

Megan C :

No, not to my knowledge they have not been treated that way

Customer:

Ok thanks. That's what I wanted to know

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Thanks, Allan for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.