Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

what is the definition of "household" income when applying

what is the definition of "household" income when applying for health insurance under the exchanges? Is that adjusted gross income? I've searched for an exact definition without success and any help numbers are too jammed to reach anyone. Thanks.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Household income is defined as the sum of: (1) the taxpayer's modified adjusted gross income, plus (2) the aggregate modified adjusted gross incomes of all other individuals taken into account in determining that taxpayer's family size (but only if such individuals are required to file a tax return for the taxable year).

Robin D. :

I have not been successful myself in exploring the website yet.

Customer:

Ah, that's a lot more defined than I've seen. Thank you. So would a person use their 2012 1040 to calculate their modified AGI to apply for insurance on the exchange for insurance starting January 2014? What if their income was substantially different in 2013 than 2012? I'm just asking for your professional opinion since I don't think there is anything definitive; but perhaps there is.

Robin D. :

You would need to go by the tax year that was just filed. So if applying in 2013 they would use their 2012 info.
UC Berkley put this calculator out
http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/healthpolicy/calculator/

Robin D. :

Some states are asking for a copy of the prior year return.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. You've been very helpful. Would the number of dependents then be tied to the prior year return as well do you think?

Robin D. :

Yes,

Customer:

OK. Have a great day Robin.

Robin D. :

You too