Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I have a unauthorized substance tax assessment mailed to me

I have a unauthorized substance tax assessment mailed to me earlier this month. I'm 3 months late on the tax and didnt even there was even such a tax. The penalties are stacking very fast. I cannot pay it all off or even close to it, in one payment. People tell me I should call them, but in the mailing it says I should mail them. I'm unsure of what to do. I would like to pay it off in payments, but it'll be impossible if they penalties keep building. What should I do? I live in the state of North Carolina. Thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Like you, I believe you should call the state about this tax, and they can give you further instructions on what to do to set up a payment plan.

Megan C :

1-877-308-9103

Megan C :

That's the number to the division which handles this tax.

Customer:

alright

Megan C :

But, the thing that you should NOT do is ignore this.

Megan C :

I would send in what you can, and call them to set up a payment plan and work out an agreement with them.

Customer:

Is there a chance it might get lowered?

Megan C :

If you contact them, it is possible that they will abate some of the penalties in exchange for payment of the tax

Megan C :

It's not guaranteed, but it is possible

Megan C :

If you didn't want to do this yourself, you could hire a tax professional to do it for you.

Customer:

Whats the estimate for that kind of service, do you know?

Megan C :

It depends on the preparer, but you're looking at maybe a couple hours work so perhaps between $150-$500. Big range, but it all depends on the professional.

Customer:

Alright, thank you Megan

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I think the rest would be up to me now Megan, thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome. I wish you the best of luck

Megan C :

Please don't forget to rate before exiting the chat. The rating feature is located along the bottom of your screen

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, Birdy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. IT was a pleasure working with you today.