USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
58296935

Own a condo (not my residence) where they manage short term

Own a condo (not my residence) where they manage short term rentals, last year $7146 income received as shown on my K-1. Expenses from owning the condo were $10153 (depr., assoc dues, util, etc) all of which I know is passive. No other activities to report on form 8582 or sched E. My adjusted gross income including the $7146 is $67,000.

looking at form 8582, not sure to list the $7146 on worksheet 3 column(a), and the $10153 in column (b), or just the $3007 net loss in (b). These numbers flow to Part 1 3abc and it seems if no income is shown then at the end of worksheets 5&6 and Part IV line 15 and 16 no loss is allowed for Sched E, line 28(f)A.
Do I even need to file 8582 or can I just list the $3007 loss in Sched E, line 28(f)A?

Yes tomorrow is the 15th and I need to file so any help is appreciated, It won't hurt too much but hard to believe I cant offset any of the loss.

thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.

USTaxAdvising :

USTaxAdvising :

You are correct that the activity is a passive activity.

USTaxAdvising :

You have a loss here and since it is a passive activity and you are not participating (you are using a rental company) you cannot deduct the net loss, the loss of 3007 gets carried forward to the next tax year.

USTaxAdvising :

Make sense?

USTaxAdvising :

You would want to file the 8582 to calculate the net loss and show that you cannot deduct it, this form can be used as support for your return next year when you can claim the loss if you have passive income.

Customer:

and I can't even deduct the $7146 part of the expenses from the income of the same amount?

USTaxAdvising :

I am a little confused, I am assuming here that you have 7146 of income and 10153 of deductions leaving a net loss of 3007. You can only deduct up to 7146 this year. Therefore the remaining 3007 of deductions get carried forward to the next tax year.

Customer:

so thats the question, if I can deduct any of my expenses to offset the income. The 3007 is the excess which I know must be carried over, but my original question is about where these figures (7146 income, 10153 expenses) go on form 8582? The income is shown on the K-1 from the partnership, and the expenses are all my costs of owning the unit.

Customer:

The way 8582 is set up is frustrating.

USTaxAdvising :

I hear ya, let me check the 8582, I'll be right back

USTaxAdvising :

Ok so basically on the 8582:

USTaxAdvising :

Line 3a = 7146

USTaxAdvising :

line 3b 10153

USTaxAdvising :

line 3 c 0

USTaxAdvising :

3d & line 4 = -3007

USTaxAdvising :

skip parts II and III

USTaxAdvising :

line 15 = 7146

USTaxAdvising :

That's it, the form is then filed with your return to show that you have a 3007 passive loss carry forward.

USTaxAdvising :

Make sense?

Customer:

I agree thats the only way it would seem to work, I think my confusion is due to the term NET ... cause based on my teaching and experience Net would mean the income minus the expenses, which is the 3007 and with no income listed (since it was net-ted out) none of the rest of the form goes anywhere, if you know what i mean.

Customer:

But I still need to do worksheets 3, 5 &6 as well, correct?

USTaxAdvising :

I understand. Basically you get to the net on line 3 d.

USTaxAdvising :

only worksheet 3 and 5, not 6. You dont have any allowed losses.

USTaxAdvising :

I wouldn't bother with worksheet 6 either since you dont have any other activities. These worksheets arent required to be completed to make your return complete.

Customer:

and list the 7146 on sched E under passive losses.

USTaxAdvising :

No it would go under passive income on page 2 of the schedule E because you got a K1 for it. Part II line 28 column G

USTaxAdvising :

Then your unreimbursed expenses are reported on a seperate line on the Schedule E page 2 part II and reported in column f but only up to the amount of your income. You do not want to report all the deductions on Schedule E only 7146.

USTaxAdvising :

The 8582 shows your carry forward loss of 3007.

USTaxAdvising :

This is a little confusing because you have unreimbursed partnership expenses. Note that the description you use for this on part II should be "UPE" per the IRS instructions.

USTaxAdvising :

Make sense?

Customer:

thats what I meant ... so both column f and g have values 7146 and net each other out to $0 by line 32 sched E.

USTaxAdvising :

In this instance yes, because you have UPE, you have to adjust your UPE on the Schedule E page 2 to not overdeduct and take the loss that's not allowed.

USTaxAdvising :

Are you good? it's getting a little late and I am ready to sign out but just want to make sure you are good before I leave since the deadline is tomorrow.

Customer:

So in Part 2 of E I would have 2 items ... row A for the partnership income and a row B for the UPE

USTaxAdvising :

exactly :)

Customer:

thanx much and have a good night ...

USTaxAdvising :

no prob. :)

USTaxAdvising, CPA
Experience: US Taxation specialist.