How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on the 1120S I have a payroll company that I pay so while the

This answer was rated:

on the 1120S I have a payroll company that I pay so while the Officer of the S corp, my W2 comes from them not my company so I have no W@ type income directly from the corp other than office advances or 50% of T & E, I do not have any info for the 1120s line 7. What should I be putting in that line item and how is it arrived at?



First, please know that the lines provided and labeled on the forms are only for convenience and the key factor is that all expenses are recorded accurately, regardless of the line entry, to arrive at the correct net income for the year.

So, whether you attempt to break out your officer compensation onto line 7 or leave it in the total paid to the payroll service is your choice and not a strict requirement.


From the instructions at

"Enter on line 7 the total compensation of all officers paid or incurred in the trade or business activities of the corporation. The corporation determines who is an officer under the laws of the state where it is incorporated."

"...Do not include salaries and wages reported elsewhere on the return, ..."

Additional details are in the instructions in regard to Include fringe benefit expenditures made on behalf of officers and employees owning more than 2% of the corporation's stock and those amounts are in Box 1 of the W-2.

In almost all cases the line amount is the total of the officer's Box 1 of Form W-2.


If you do not have any information and choose to use zero since the amount of officer compensation is reported elsewhere that is acceptable. Form instructions are not the legal requirement when filing.


If you prefer to list the gross wages for the officer(s) on line 7 you could list that on line 7 (as you presumably know or can find that amount of gross wages from the W-2(s)) and reduce the expense for the payroll service by that same amount, to not deduct that officer compensation twice.


There is a slight advantage in using line 7 to report the compensation of officers as that item has been under increased scrutiny in the past few years. Even if you were to get any correspondence questioning the zero amount on line 7 it can be answered by supplying information such as the W-2 for the officer(s).


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.






Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I phrased my question a little fuzzy. I know I do not put W2 paid type in line 7. I know that I have to take 50% of T & E and I'm not sure but am thinking I have to take officer advances as income if I am not going to pay them back. Also I am not 100% about "benefits such as paid health care in that line items. That is why I was asking what items other than w2 items should go in that spot.


Hello again,


Basically only the items that are in Box 1 of the W-2 are compensation.


What you have termed office advances are likely distributions that are not wages or salary so are not here in officer compensation but rather are part of the distributions listed on Schedule K line 16d.


The unallowed one half of business meals is not compensation but is nondeductible expense of the corporation. This may be on Schedule M-1 if required, otherwise is only on the corporate books.


It is a requirement that an officer providing services to the corporation take a "reasonable salary" so the most correct treatment is to file a late W-2 if the officer did take money from the corporation and did provide services.


"Distributions and other payments by an S corporation to a corporate officer must be treated as wages to the extent the amounts are reasonable compensation for the service rendered to the corporation."

This is a legal requirement and not a matter of choice or convenience.


That is, there is no other correct manner to report officer compensation of a more than 2% owner of an S corporation other than in Box 1 of Form W-2 when the officer has taken money from the corporation and provided services. .


If there were personal, not business, meals or other expenses paid by the corporation for the officer those will should also be part of the compensation in Box 1 W-2 but might be treated as distributions on Schedule K.


There is no need to file or include on Form W-2 money taken that can property be designated a loan which will be repaid. Even the personal items paid by the corporation may also be a loan to the officer. This is a part of the balance sheet.


The W-2 total from the payroll service is the correct amount to use in line 7 of Form 1120S (unless you choose to leave it in the payroll services total as previously discussed) and the other amounts will be on Schedule K as distributions. Health insurance paid and other benefits are already part of that Box 1 amount when done properly, or you may need to consider a corrected W-2 .


Hope this clarifies for you (even if not what you wanted to hear).

Please do ask if you need more help.

Thank you.










jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience: I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience