How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea , Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am selling a portion of my business (Websites, stock, etc.)

Resolved Question:

I am selling a portion of my business (Websites, stock, etc.) for $130,000. I'm worried about being taxed on that. If I buy a house before the year is out is that considered an investment so I won't be taxed? What can I do to protect that money? I'm in Nevada (no state tax. This is all federal)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 2 years ago.



Sorry to say that making another investment does not change the fact that the sale of your stock and other items will be subject to tax on the gain.


Rather than sell it is possible to use a Like Kind Exchange that involves business or investment property which is exchanged for like kind property. Like Kind Exchanges must not involve constructive receipt of cash for the property relinquished so a qualified intermediary facilitates the exchange using escrow accounts. The proceeds are used to purchase replacement property of like kind and the gain from the property exchanged is deferred into the acquired property.

However, this may or may not fit well in your circumstances as only property used in business and not stocks can qualify for this treatment. For more information and the restrictions see


Other than using an exchange one technique to reduce tax in the year of gain is to also sell during the year other property (such as stocks) that would generate a loss to offset the gain. Since in most years a loss can not be fully used to offset other income often the year of gain is the best time to dispose of property that has a loss.


If you and the buyer agree it can be beneficial to use an installment sale and get the proceeds of the sale in more than one tax year. In that case your gain is able to be spread over more than one tax year and there may be less impact as smaller gain in each year is less likely to push your income to higher tax brackets. Whether this will be effective in your circumstance likely will require all of the facts and circumstances to be reviewed and analyzed by an experienced tax practitioner. For more information see


If you have (or you create) a retirement plan in connection with your business it is likely beneficial to contribute up to the maximum to that plan and thereby defer some of your income for the year of the sale. Various plans are available depending on your business as explained in the publication at

Similarly, if you (or your spouse when filing jointly) contribute more to a retirement plan with an employer there can be deferral of income tax on that contribution.


Lastly, in any year when there is an increase of income it may be beneficial to accelerate deductions into that tax year. For example, increased charitable contributions and payment in this year rather than next year of items such as property tax are better used in the year that is subject to a higher marginal tax rate.


Hopefully these items can help your goal to defer or reduce the income tax on the sale and as you confer with a tax professional to apply the concepts to your situation.


Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.



jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience: I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience