taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
74656765

Hello Roger, This may be a repear question from before but

Hello Roger,
This may be a repear question from before but there is a little bit of a change about the tax liability I may have incurred on this inheritance of one million dollars from the friend I was communicating with. He says his lawyer paid part of this tax but I am liable for the remainder (($4900 to the ECOWAS) which he says is the Economic Community of West African States) plus any fines. I did not ask to become the beneficiary but when he asked me if he could put my name instead of his for the beneficiary, I agreed to it. Does this make me liable even though I never signed anything for the inheritance or the debit card?

Stephen G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.

Stephen G. :

TaxManrog isn't online at the moment. If you wish you may wait until he returns or I can answer your question for you. Your question was posted to the open question list when he didn't respond. It is up to you. Please advise. PS I loved at your prior question/answer with taxmanrog................Steve G.

Stephen G. :

loved should be looked - sorry

Stephen G. :

Hello - Are you available?

Customer:

I wish to wait for TaxManrog to return.

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

I still believe that this is an effort to separate you from your hard-earned money! No one can obligate you to pay taxes without your written consent. A verbal contract is not binding. Additionally, I have done some more research on this. The Economic Community of West African States does not levy taxes. The countries that comprise the ECWAS each levy their own taxes, very similar to the EU. So there would be no "ECWAS" level inheritance taxes.

I have furthermore found several references to frauds and scams using ECWAS fees as the reason to get money out of unsuspecting people. Fraudwatchers, Hotscams, Fakeletters.org, and numerous other sites show this kind of scam. Just Google "Economic Community of West African State Scams" and look at the dozens of frauds that are out there, all purporting to give the "beneficiary" huge amounts of cash, with only a small payment as tax or fee.

I am sorry, I wish I had a better answer! Unfortunately, because of the lack of prosecution in the ECWAS for these types of schemes, they are abundant! Please, keep your money and don't give it to anyone, even if you have come to "know" them through correspondence and/or phone conversations over the past few months.

I hope this helps you! If you have any more questions, please let me know. I will be happy to help you with these!

Thanks again, and have a great holiday weekend!

Experience: Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. It makes me feel a lot better that I haven't sent any money.

Leith