Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

why is proseries telling me that my client owes taxes on debt

why is proseries telling me that my client owes taxes on debt forgiveness on a private residence after completeing form 982?

Lane :

I think that if you enter your forgiven debt (bottom of income worksheet? under less common income ... you will need to manually insert the 982 into the return

Lane :

Now, I dont have Porseries in front of me ... use the online package now Proline

Lane :

But I just went to my turbotax

Lane :

If I click FORMS on top right, then Open Form (top,left here) , then type (in the TYPE A FORM NAME box at the top) type 982

Lane :

THe form that popped up for me was Form 982:Reduction of Tax Attibutes (of course) then I clicked on OPEN FORM

Lane :

NEXT, I had to (While still in the forms view) click on FOrm 1040, then double click where amount is for line 21 (turbotax had CANCELED DEBT INCOME in there)

Lane :

I then doble-clicked and a form opens called Other Income Statement

Lane :

Actually is says “Other Income Statement” for Form 1040 Line 21. Line 15a1 of this Form showed the canceled debt amount I had put in

Lane :

AND ... it deducted the discharge amount from Line 15a3, which is the net Taxable amount of canceled debt.

Lane :

Then when I clicked back onto Form 1040 and looked at Line 21, Turbo Tax deducted the discharge amount from Form 982 Line 2.

Lane :

Now, I know turbo-tax isnt pro-series, but I bet its the same basic issue .... needing to manually insert the form into the return

Customer:

Thanks.

Thanks Joyce, sorry I could give you PS keystrokes

In my experience as the engines the same they have MANY similar issues.

Glad I could at least maybe point you in the right direction

Lane