How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Lev. Im finally doing the 2012s and I have another question.

This answer was rated:

Hi, Lev. I'm finally doing the 2012s and I have another question. I know you said a property listed on on schedule need not be owned by the one declaring income. As I mentioned, I am renting my apartment in NYC (for $3600/month), and rent our extra bedroom to others on airbnb which resulted in $3,670 in "Rents" on my 2012 1099-MISC. Since I don't own it, I have no right deduct my own rent as an expense, right? That would put the return all out of whack ($3600 x 12 = $43,200 expenses minus $3,670 in income would = $39,530 in expenses for a property I don't own.) Should I just declare the income and leave it at that? My real expenses regarding renting out to guests only amount to about $250-$300. Thank you!

Welcome to Just Answers! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!


It appears that Lev is not online, so if I may, I will assist you.


When generating any kind of income, you are allowed to deduct all "ordinary and necessary" expenses associated with the income generating activity. So, since you had to rent the apartment in order to have space to rent out to someone, you are entitled to allocate a portion of the rent to the $3,670 that you received.


A good method for allocating rent is based on square footage. If the entire apartment is 1,500 square feet, and you rent an 10 x 10 bedroom, you are subleasing 100 square feet of your 1,500 square feet unit. you could then take 1/15 of the $43,200 rent that you paid and allocate it to the income you received. This would be done on Schedule E. Now, if there were certain amenities in the apartment that your sub-lessor was not able to use, such as a Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom or the like, you would have to adjust the rent allocation accordingly.


Does your sub-lessor pay any of the utilities? If not, you could also allocate part of the utilities to the income you received as well.


I hope this has answered your question! If you have any more, please feel free to ask! If you have found my answer helpful, please rate me highly. I would appreciate it!


Again, thanks and have a great week!



Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thank you for your response. I have a followup though. Using your explanation, I would generate a "loss" for my rental property which I don't own, which would make no sense and be unfair in a way. I think I realized the crucial piece. I didn't tell you the whole story. The room is about 140 sq ft and the apartment is about 800 sq ft. This equals 17.5% of the space. I only rented out this room for 25 days out of 365. That would equal 6.85% of the year. Shouldn't my math then be:


3600 (monthly rent) x 12 (months)= $43,200 (annual rent), times 6.85% (% of year occupied by airbnb renter) = $2,959.20 (total apt rent for time airbnb guests occupied the room), times 17.5% (% of apt used by room) = $517.86 deduction for 2012?


Please tell me if my logic holds. Thank you!!





Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Additionally, if my earlier thoughts from this morning were correct, on what line of the Schedule E (using Turbo Tax) do I place the $517.86 rental deduction? None of the line titles on the Schedule E seems to apply to a rental deduction such as this. Would it be line 19, "Other (list) ________"? Thank you.



Hi Suzanne and welcome to our site!
Thank you for asking additional question and appreciate for trusting me.
Many thanks to Roger who covered for me while I was away.

As it was mentioned above - all ordinary and necessary expenses associated with the income generating rental activity may be deducted.
The issue is - because these are not direct expenses - but expenses partially related to your rental income and partially personal - - you need to prorate such expenses - and only part related to your rental is deductible.
Because you do not own the property - you may not deduct depreciation - however all other expenses for instance your rental payments and utilities are deductible.
Your calculations are correct - you rent 17.5% of the space and your are renting 6.85% of total days. So your rent payments are deducted for $518 - you need to round the amount to whole dollars.
On the schedule E - you report that deduction on line 19 as Other expenses and will attach a note with explanation of your calculations.
Similarly - you may deduct your utility bills - use same proportion on line 17.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. The other guy was great, but I missed you. ;)


Ok. What do you suggest I write on line 19? Do I say "personal rent expenses" and then write out the whole equation as I wrote it to you, or is that too detailed? I'm not sure Turbo Tax has space for a 3 line explanation. Thank you.




As I mentioned above - you may not deduct personal expenses - but may only deduct expenses related to the income generating rental activity.

As you prorated your expenses - that portion is not personal so writing "personal rent expenses" would not be correct.

I would write "portion of rent related to rental income"

If there is no space - just leave as above - and keep your calculations as supporting document with other tax related papers.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience