Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am an independent consultant doing Social Media work for

I am an independent consultant doing Social Media work for several hotels and currently get paid via credit card. I work out of my house. What do I do in reference to paying taxes on this money?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Lane :

Lane :

You are (by default, if you have set up a formal business entity with your state) a sole proprietor

Customer:

yes

Lane :

What this means, is that you should use Schedule C, as an attachment to your tax return to report this income (AND the expenses of your business) which will, in turn generate a profit (or loss)

Customer:

How do I know how much money to set aside with each payment to make sure I have enough for taxes owed

Lane :

and it's this profit (if you have one) on which you'll pay taxes - it will flow to line 12 (business income or loss) on your 1040

Lane :

I would take the schedule c (linked above) and use it to estimate your profit

Lane :

(then divide by 4)

Lane :

and then use (IF you'll HAVE a profit) this form

2013 Form 1040-ES (OTC) - Internal Revenue Service

Lane :

to send in the estimated payments, quarterly

Customer:

So if I am being paid via a corporate credit card, how do I report my earnings. Will the company that I am getting paid from turn something in or do I have to supply to the IRS during tax time all the invoices that I have collected payment on.

Lane :

They'll send you a 1099-MISC ... supposed to in JAnuary

Lane :

BUT you don't attach 1099 to the return, you just report the income on that top line of the schedule C (essentially your business income statement)

Lane :

THe IRS SYSTEM WILL match your income to the copy of the 1099 thy'll get

Customer:

So far the company that is paying me does not have my SS number since I was being paid via credit card. I will need to give them this information to be sent the 1099-MISC correct

Lane :

Yes, you SHOULD have had you complete a W-9 , which is the "setup" document for issuing the 1099

Lane :

sorry for the typo "they" should have ...

Customer:

Perfect. That is what I need to know.

Lane :

Yep ... be proactive and ask them about it, should make things go smoothly, going forward

Customer:

Thank you

Lane :

YW -

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Thanks so much for the rating!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question

OR set me up as your preferred expert on your home page.

Regardless, thanks again,
Lane