Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My sister and I inherited my parents house when my mom passed

My sister and I inherited my parent's house when my mom passed away last year. It's currently sitting in a trust with my sister named as the trustee. We're thinking about selling it within the next year, and I'm wondering what the tax implications of that will be. The house is in California, was purchased for $58,000 and is currently worth approximately $1.1 million. There is no mortgage, it's completely paid off. Thanks for any assistance!
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

You likely will have very little, if any, tax. The reason is that the original cost of the house is not relevant. Rather, when your mom died, the basis of the house would have been increased to its fair market value. Thus, when you sell it, if you sell it at that increased basis, there is no gain, and thus no tax. Only if the if the property sells for a price (less closing costs) in excess of the newly-stepped up basis, would there be any gain. In that case, it would be long term capital gain, and only on the sales price (less closing costs) in excess of the increased basis amount.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thanks so much for the positive rating and the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness and the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: