Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have a client who has been filing MFS, married filing seperately

I have a client who has been filing MFS, married filing seperately for the past several years. Last year, 2012 his spouse passed away in June. She filed MFS for the first 6 months for IRD, her final return and then since she had
substantial assets an estate was created. My client would receive a significant benefit by filing single for 2012. Please let me know if filing single is possible

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

In the year of the death of your spouse, you file MFJ or MFS

Megan C :

Then, for two years you can file as Qualified Widow status. After that two years is up, then you would revert to single or head of household depending on dependent status.

Megan C :

You can read all about choosing filiing status, HERE

Megan C :

Also according to Publication 17, you would be considered married the entire year in the year your spouse died. You can read publication 17, HERE

Customer:

Not clear here, because can I just elect to file MFJ or do I need the executor's permission?

Megan C :

If the executor filed the final return as married filing separate, she would have to file separate as well

Customer:

Ok that works. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.