Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

working on 2012 taxes. Re: form SSA-1099 recd when disability

working on 2012 taxes. Re: form SSA-1099 rec'd when disability awarded Am 63, live in Fresno, CA and am single.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 10 months ago.

Anne :

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation?

Anne :

Did the SSA-1099 include amounts for prior years?

Customer:

YES, 2008 -2009-2010-2011

Anne :

How much was your back payment for each year?

Customer:

REC'D IN FEB OR MARCH OF 2012

Customer:

$11,886.00 FOR 2008, $25,152.00 FOR 2009, $25,152. FOR 2010, $25,152. FOR 2011

Anne :

Ok and did you have wages for those years, or were you collecting disability from your employer

Anne :

I apologize for all of the questions, but depending on the type of income you received, and your age when you first started receiving it, makes a big difference in how the $ for the prior years is handled

Customer:

I used up my savings, credit cards, help from my mom, then at the end , I found out I could amt draw on small

Customer:

on small amt of retirement from few years I worked at a County Hospital that was taken over by another hospital.

Anne :

Thank you that helped alot

Anne :

Social Security is only taxable if there is other taxable income to report, such as a W2

Anne :

Since that's not the case with you, you will have no taxable SS

Anne :

When you receive retroactive SS like this, you have 2 options on how to handle it

Anne :

One of the options is to consider it all received in the current year..........and since you have no taxable income, this would be the best option for you

Anne :

You will not even need to file a Federal Tax Return if this SS is your only income

Customer:

Well, I get the small amount from county, monthly amt $1500 and current disability of $1,000 mo (or vice versa) currently and most of 2012, starting March or april

Anne :

You received this income ONLY in 2012?

Anne :

(the $1500 and $1000/month)?

Customer:

Got the catch-up check when they decided to award me disability, a monyh or two later started the monthly $1000 cks, and continue to do so. The retirement cks I got thru 2012 and currently.

Customer:

The last month the large amt represented was for the year2011

Anne :

Ok.........let me see if I have all of the information correct

Anne :

In 2012 you received disability from your former employer in the amount of $1500/per month

Anne :

You were also receiving a separate $ amount ($1000/month)

Anne :

Does this also represent disability from your former employer, or is this a pension or somerhing?

Anne :

and finally, who paid for the disability insurance when you were working...........the employer, or did you also contribute?

Customer:

Monthly ck from fresno County was for $1500 after taxes deducted. I pd disability insurance. Big ck from soc sec was catch=up from time I began application for disability through denials and approval. Then month or two later after big check, they started my monthly disability payments Did I answer the questions. For yr 2012 I rec

Customer:

Form 1099-R for amt from fresno county. Disability came from separate place - Social Security, both big ck & small monthly ck.

Anne :

So prior to 2012 when you found out that you qualifed for the disability from your former employer, you lived off of your cc?

Customer:

Correct

Anne :

Ok........then we need to talk about the other option when you get retroactive SS

Customer:

Okay

Anne :

You have the choice of counting all of your SS (including retroactive amounts) in the year you received the money (which would be 2012)

Anne :

The 2nd option is to treat the SS as if you had received the retroactive amounts in the prior year

Anne :

Since you had not source of income (living off CC) prior to 2012 , you may choose to count the retroactive SS for the years they listed on the 1099SSA

Customer:

elaborate, what do I do for prior years?

Anne :

or example, you can count the $11,886 as actually being received that money in 2008

Customer:

so I need to re-do previous taxes?

Anne :

You're right, it is a little elaborate, but since you had no income for 2008,2009,2010 and 2011, that means that none of these amounts would generate a tax liability

Anne :

No, you do not need to file tax returns for the prior year returns

Anne :

The IRS knows that you didn't file a tax return for those years because there was no income submitted to them under your SS#

Customer:

My goodness, you give Govt a lot of credit - but I like it!

Anne :

LOL

Anne :

I've been doing this for a long time

Anne :

Please file your 1099SSSA where you can find it JUST IN CASE the IRS asks questions, but I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Customer:

Thank you! I could give you really stellar critical care nursing care in a trauma unit, but law, taxes, $$ is all a mystery Okay, good idea!

Anne :

That's ok...........I absolutely couldn't do your job.......but I'm smart enough to know that its the nurses that REALLY knows what's going on

Anne :

If you want..........you can always bookmark this page (even after you rate & pay) and that way IF a question comes up (big if) from the IRS, you can come back and ask follow up questions

Customer:

I know I'm going to have a less-stressed evening! Hope you have a great evening! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will bookmark it

Anne :

I'm glad I could help

Anne :

Please feel free to come back anytime.

Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience: Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Expert:  Anne replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating and your generous bonus!

Please feel free to ask for me by putting "for Anne"in your question line if I can help you in the future.