Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Have not filed my 2012 taxes yet. I owned a house in joint

Have not filed my 2012 taxes yet. I owned a house in joint tenancy with my father. He died in February, 2012, and tried to turn the unit a rental, but the HOA wouldn't let us.
We finally sold the property (at a loss) in December, 2012. Would the house be considered personal property and therefore, we cannot claim the capital gain loss, or could we declare it as a rental and then sell is and take the capital gain credit. Thanks.

Lane :

Lane :

If neither of you lived there as a personal residence, there (although it would not be a "rental," because the HOA by-laws didn't allow it) I would still be considered a capital asset (a non-personal use) asset and you ca take the loss

Lane :

Make sense? ... It doesn't have to be a rental to be an investment property ... Now, again, if this was your residence, then there would be a capital gain EXCLUSION if it were sold at a gain (but there would not be the ability to take a loss, is the other side of THAT coin)

Lane :

Non-personal use = Capital gains tax on and gain on sale ... Personal residence = No capital gains tax, but no capital loss to take on sale

Lane :

(Sorry for the typo ... let me try to say that more clearly)

Lane :

Non-personal use asset = Capital gains tax on any gain upon sale AND capital loss can be taken if sold at a loss

Lane :

Personal Use asset = Capital gains tax is excluded (up to $250,000 for single filers and $500,000 for those filing jointly) BUT no loss can be take if it is sold at a loss

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Please let me know if you have any questions at all ...

Lane

Lane :

Questions?

Lane :

OK, I'll move us now ... again, let me know of you have questions

Hi Judy,

... just checking back in here, as I ever saw you come into the chat.

Again, let me know if you have questions.

Lane
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. So to reiterate, the only person that ever lived there was my parent. Therefore, on Schedule D I would indicate the date acquired 9/2003 for $80K and it was sold in 12/2013 for $50K after expenses (there was a lawsuit over ownership of the parking space, as well as a decline in property value, some improvements, etc.). This would provide me a capital gain loss of $30K. Should I put an explanation in the tax return? I am leaning towards not doing so and if they contact me, then providing the back-up and documentation, which I definitely have.