Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im a tax professional and controller consultant for several

I'm a tax professional and controller consultant for several small companies...I have a question that I need some clarity on. Can a $3million dollar company with a cost inventory method (per tax code) file corporate tax returns on a cash basis? They are currently on an accrual basis accounting method.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Generally, a business of that size would have to use the accrual basis for reporting inventory related expenses.

Megan C :

To qualify to use the cash basis method, under publication 334 the following is true:

Megan C :

Qualifying taxpayer. You are a qualifying taxpayer if:

• Your average annual gross receipts for each prior tax year ending on or after December 17, 1998, is $1 million or less. (Your average annual gross receipts for a tax year is figured by adding the gross receipts for that tax year and the 2 preceding tax years and dividing by 3.)

• Your business is not a tax shelter, as defined under section 448(d)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Qualifying small business taxpayer. You are a qualifying small business taxpayer if:

• Your average annual gross receipts for each prior tax year ending on or after December 31, 2000, is more than $1 million but not more than $10 million. (Your average annual gross receipts for a tax year is figured by adding the gross receipts for that tax year and the 2 preceding tax years and dividing the total by 3.)

• You are not prohibited from using the cash method under section 448 of the Internal Revenue Code.

• Your principal business activity is an eligible business (described in Publication 538 and Revenue Procedure 2002-28).

Megan C :

If you qualify to account under the cash basis of accounting, you would have to file form 3115 to make the change from accrual to cash.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this? If not, please rate me as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Megan C :

If you have further questions, please reply below.

Megan C :

Thanks!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the opportunity to assist. It was a pleasure working with you today. If you have further questions, please reply below. Otherwise, please rate as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.