Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im a tax professional and controller consultant for several

I'm a tax professional and controller consultant for several small companies...I have a question that I need some clarity on. Can a $3million dollar company with a cost inventory method (per tax code) file corporate tax returns on a cash basis? They are currently on an accrual basis accounting method.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Generally, a business of that size would have to use the accrual basis for reporting inventory related expenses.

Megan C :

To qualify to use the cash basis method, under publication 334 the following is true:

Megan C :

Qualifying taxpayer. You are a qualifying taxpayer if:

• Your average annual gross receipts for each prior tax year ending on or after December 17, 1998, is $1 million or less. (Your average annual gross receipts for a tax year is figured by adding the gross receipts for that tax year and the 2 preceding tax years and dividing by 3.)

• Your business is not a tax shelter, as defined under section 448(d)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Qualifying small business taxpayer. You are a qualifying small business taxpayer if:

• Your average annual gross receipts for each prior tax year ending on or after December 31, 2000, is more than $1 million but not more than $10 million. (Your average annual gross receipts for a tax year is figured by adding the gross receipts for that tax year and the 2 preceding tax years and dividing the total by 3.)

• You are not prohibited from using the cash method under section 448 of the Internal Revenue Code.

• Your principal business activity is an eligible business (described in Publication 538 and Revenue Procedure 2002-28).

Megan C :

If you qualify to account under the cash basis of accounting, you would have to file form 3115 to make the change from accrual to cash.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this? If not, please rate me as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Megan C :

If you have further questions, please reply below.

Megan C :

Thanks!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the opportunity to assist. It was a pleasure working with you today. If you have further questions, please reply below. Otherwise, please rate as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.