Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am a US citizen living in Mexico for the past 16 years. I

I am a US citizen living in Mexico for the past 16 years. I have not filed taxes during that time. I am thinking of going to the US and filing all my past due years taxes. I believe I do not owe anything for these years. I cannot afford a tax accountant. Can the IRS help me with the filing. Do you recommend going to the IRS for help?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, the IRS does not offer assistance in preparing returns. They may answer questions you may have, but they will not take the time to sit down and help you fill the forms out.

Megan C :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't want to try to fill it out by yourself you will need a tax preparer. You can get an Enrolled Agent or CPA - you should be able to find someone who will be reasonable with the price

Megan C :

You want someone to quote you a price for all 16 years.

Customer:

Okay that is what I thought do you believe there will be penalties for not filing?

Megan C :

If you owe no tax, then there will not be significant penalties

Megan C :

However, if you do owe tax the length of time that has stretched on your penalties and interest could be significant

Megan C :

For that reason alone, I would go with a tax preparer ... in the end they can tally up what you owe and if it's significant perhaps work out a deal with the IRS either through installment payments or something to that effect.

Customer:

Okay one more question I have been a Mexican citizen for the last 7 years. Do I still need to file US taxes even though I do not live in the US and I am a Mexican citizen

Megan C :

If you are a US Citizen, yes

Megan C :

You have to file a return regardless of your other citizenship

Customer:

okay thank you

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

no thank you for your help and I will!

Megan C :

Thanks so much!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the ability to assist you ... if you would, please take a moment to rate my response using the rating feature on the screen. 5 stars/smileys provides me with full credit. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer