Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have heard many horror stories about MN newest tax laws and

Customer Question

I have heard many horror stories about MN newest tax laws and have found that many of
the retired people that I know are changing residencies to other states. Some own
proplerty elsewhere and it is easy for them. What tests does MN plan to use to tell
if a person is a resident of MN or another state?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. My name is Barbara, and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.

You are a Minnesota resident if you:

-are an active-duty military personnel and you consider Minnesota to be your home, regardless of where you were stationed during the year,

-leave Minnesota but have not established permanent residency elsewhere,

-temporarily leave Minnesota and plan to return, or

-maintained an abode in Minnesota for the entire year and you met the requirements under the 183-day rule. In this case, you are a full-year Minnesota resident for income tax purposes even though you may have been domiciled in another state. (The 183-day rule does not apply to military personnel or residents of a reciprocity state.)

The 183-day rule is as follows:

Even if you are a resident of another state, you may still be taxed as a Minnesota resident under the 183-day rule. The 183-day rule is based on two conditions:

1. You spend at least 183 days in Minnesota (any portion of a day is counted as a full day), and

2. You or your spouse own, rent or occupy an abode (a self-contained living unit, suitable for year-round use, that is equipped with its own cooking and bathing facilities) in Minnesota.

Additional information can be found at the following:

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/factsheets/fact_sheets_fs1.pdf

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Phil.

I see you are now offline. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions, and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Phil.

Just a short follow-up to see if you need any further information or clarification. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you and best regards,
Barb