Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hello There! I would like to purchase a membership plan to

Hello There! I would like to purchase a membership plan to utilize an online software program to use for business tasks. However, I was going to purchase the student and teacher edition for the cheaper monthly rate. Is this an eligible business expense due to the decrease in cheaper rates?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Just because you are looking to purchase the plan in a less expensive way does not mean it it is not still a business expense. To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.
As long as the expense is for your business and meets the requirements (ordinary and necessary) then you woudl be allowed the deduction.

Customer:

Thank you!