Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have heard on two occasions that if I am on fixed income,

I have heard on two occasions that if I am on fixed income, and I am eighty four. I no longer have to file income tax. Is this true? roughly 34,00.00

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Income tax return filing requirements are NOT based on age.

Lev :

Regardless of your age - you are required to file the tax return if your taxable income is above certain limit. That limit is set every year based on filing status.
Thus in 2013 if you are single - generally you are not required to file the tax return if your total taxable income is below $10,000.
Those above 65 have higher threshold - in 2013 those above 65 generally are not required to file the tax return if their total taxable income is below $11,500.

Lev :

If part of your income includes social security benefits - such benefits may be not taxable or partly taxable. A simple test is as following - take a half of your social security benefits PLUS other taxable income - if the total is less than $25,000 - none of your social security benefits are taxable and only other taxable income is used in determination if you are required to file the tax return.

Lev :

So - back to your question
- filing requirements are based on total income threshold.
- those above 65 have higher threshold
- only taxable income is considered when we determine if the person is required to file.
- social security benefits may be partly taxable or not taxable
- only taxable part of social security benefits is considered in determination if the person is required to file the tax return.
- rumors that above certain age persons are not required to file regardless of their income are NOT based on the tax law.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and posting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

So - back to your question
- those above 65 have higher threshold