How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1496
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister in law got audited by the IRS and was informed that

This answer was rated:

My sister in law got audited by the IRS and was informed that she owed the IRS $30k. I do not have the details on how she owed the money. Anyways, the question is, she plans to hire a Lawyer who advertises on the radio that he can negotiate with the IRS on the money owed and can get down the amount upto 70%. Is this really possible that these Lawyers can negotiate with the IRS? Are there any criteria on what can be negotiated? My sister in law is just worried that these Lawyers just advertise this to get you hooked in but can't actually do anything. It would just be a waste of money getting a Lawyer if that is the case. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Arthur Rubin :

Well, there are programs where the IRS can reduce the amount owed, but only because of uncertainty (on the part of the IRS) of the accuracy of their version of the return or the ability to collect.

Arthur Rubin :

Some lawyers are better at negotiating with the IRS than others, but there is no reason to believe that the ones who advertise are better than the ones that do not.

Arthur Rubin :

The most common reduction program is called OIC (Offer In Compromise). You can file the forms without expert help, and, unless there's a complicated situation, you might do almost as well as a lawyer.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm afraid I might not be the best expert to answer this, but I'm not sure what the qualifications of such an expert would be, other than not advertising on television.

Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions