Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  16+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

GA recently filed a state tax lien ($28,354) claiming that

GA recently filed a state tax lien ($28,354) claiming that no taxes were paid for 2008-2010.

Despite receiving a letter back from GA Dept. of Revenue which indicated that taxes were paid, but underpaid so I did owe $1300, the lien is still in place for the original amount.

I've sent 9 certified letters to the GA Dept. of Revenue including w-2s and tax forms showing tax was paid, the letter indicating the correct amount owed, etc. and to date (16+ months) have received no response from GA Dept of Revenue, Tax Commissioner, etc.

What steps am I overlooking to resolve this and have the lien removed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

Jax is unavailable, but I would be more than happy to help you with your question. How are you doing today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such difficulties with Georgia regarding this tax lien.

Megan C :

Georgia will not assist you in getting the lien removed from your credit report.

Megan C :

First, you will need to get documentation from Georgia that the tax is paid, satisfied, and deleted from your record. Once you get this, you can give that notice of removal to your county recorder so that the lien is not picked up in the future by other credit reporting agencies. Once you're certain that you've done this, contest the lien with all three credit bureaus.

Megan C :

If the state does not respond, or responds that the lien has been satisfied, then the file must be removed from your record.

Megan C :

Your request may be denied at first, but you can contest or appeal.

Megan C :

You can also seek the assistance of an attorney who specializes in disputing credit claims, they may be able to do this much quicker because they know the ropes. It may be well worth the fee they would charge.

Megan C :

If you still need documentation from the state that the lien has been paid and removed, and you're not getting a response within 60 days, you can contact the taxpayer advocate for Georgia.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter? If not, please respond and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

This doesn't really assist much as I've already indicated that I've contacted GA Dept of Revenue, Tax Commissioners Office, Compliance Division of GA and the Tax Payer Advocate of GA - all with no response.

Customer:

I'm guessing from your response that an attorney is the only option left.

Megan C :

Do you have the letter that says you have paid the tax off in full, or do you have proof? It sounded like you have that proof. If that's the case you can contact the credit bureaus.

Megan C :

The other option would be to get an attorney to assist you, which may be worth it because it is a rather large lien to have on your credit report.

Megan C :

Sorry for the delayed response. I stepped away from my office for about an hour.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Different expert here - My name is XXXXX XXXXX the following is additional information which you may find useful. Unfortunately, when dealing with government
entities, it may simply be a matter of one department not knowing what the
other department is doing or one department does not follow through with another department to resolve an issue.

As a last resort before incurring the expense of an attorney to assist you, my best advice would be to take all of your documentation to a regional office, ask for a supervisor, and present your documentation. Since I do not know what regional office is closest to you, a complete list of the addresses and phone numbers for each
regional office can be found at the following:

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/doroff.aspx

I realize this will be an inconvenience, but if the matter gets resolved, it will have been worth your time and effort.

Please let me know if you require additional information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually just clicked the wrong button and seem to be unable to change my rating.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

I will forward this to customer service, and they will take care of it. Please confirm what you would like the rating to be for my answer.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 16+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.