Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Hi, I live in Florida and I got divorce 3 years ago by Mediation.I

Hi, I live in Florida and I got divorce 3 years ago by Mediation.I had no help at all from my lawyer and I make many mistakes.I agreed to let my ex husband to claim my child every other year and on top of that I have to give him $500 when I do my claim and he has to do the same wich now I know make no sense what I did. My daughter live with me and visit him every other weekend.I really want to stop this but I want to do it my self because I don't have money to pay a lawyer again.Can you please tell me if I can do it my self for this tax year and how?

thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
As long as you agreed for your ex-spouse to claim your child as a dependent on his tax return - to change that - you need to go back to court and ask to modify your divorce agreement.

Lev :

However - because your daughter lives with you - there is something you may do without such modification.

Lev :

Under the IRS rules the custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the greater part of the year. The other parent is the noncustodial parent.
Generally - the IRS doesn't follow your divorce degree. According to the IRS - the custodial parent has rights to claim the child as a dependent and for all other tax benefits.
However - when the divorce degree assigns the right to claim a dependent to the noncustodial parent - you as the custodial parent should release the claim to the noncustodial parent by signing the form 8332 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8332.pdf - should be filed with the noncustodial parent's tax return. The non-custodial parent should obtain that form signed by the custodian parent for specified years.
Please refer to the IRS publication 504 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

If a child is treated as the qualifying child of the noncustodial parent under the special rule for divorced or separated parents, only the noncustodial parent can claim an exemption and the child tax credit for the child.

However, the noncustodial parent cannot claim the child for head of household filing status, the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the exclusion for dependent care benefits, and the earned income credit. Only the custodial parent (or other eligible taxpayer) can claim the child as a qualifying child for these four tax benefits.

So - if you are the custodial parent under IRS rules - you need to sign the form 8332 - and that form should be attached to your spouse's tax return.
Regardless - because you are the custodial parent under IRS rules - you still may claim your daughter for head of household filing status, the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the exclusion for dependent care benefits, and the earned income credit.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting on your tax return.

Lev :

Having on not having the form 8332 with his tax return is your ex-spouse concern - not yours.
You still may claim your daughter regardless of your divorce agreement - you are the custodial parent - but only for limited benefits listed above.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He never use the form to claim my daughter .

so I still can claim my daughter if I sign the mediation?

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

You still may claim your daughter regardless of your divorce agreement - because you are the custodial parent - but only for limited benefits listed above.

For instance - if your ex-spouse is entitled to claim your daughter in 2013 according to your divorce agreement - he may claim her as a dependent, claim child tax credit, educational credit, etc.
In the same year - you may claim your daughter, but for other benefits - such as for head of household filing status, the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the exclusion for dependent care benefits, and the earned income credit.