Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Situation: I pay quarterly. Individual. Self employed.

Situation: I pay quarterly. Individual. Self employed. For my 3rd Estimated Tax Payment voucher (1040 ES), I sent a check to the IRS for $7,600.00. The voucher said $7,600.00. The number field on the check said $7,600.00. But the written amount on the check said "Seventy-six and 00/100" dollars. So, the bank cleared only $76.00 to the IRS. This was due 9/15/2013.

Question: Can I just send another payment of $7,600.00 to the IRS with a fresh copy of the3rd pmt voucher? Or do I have to do anything more?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
You should send another payment for the remaining amount with a short letter explaining what happened. You should make it clear that you wish the payment to be counted for the quarter that the original payment was sent.

Customer:

sounds good. That's what I had started to do, but wanted confirmation from someone who regularly deals with the IRS.

Customer:

Thanks,...

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough