How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single parent. My 40 year old daughter and my two grandchildren,

This answer was rated:

I am a single parent. My 40 year old daughter and my two grandchildren, 12 and 4 have been living with me for 2 years. There father gives very little child support but will be claiming them as dependents. Can I claim any part of their room and board I am providing without being able to claim them as my dependents?

R. Klein, EA :

Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

R. Klein, EA :

There are no special deductions on a tax return for "room and board" of any persons you cannot claim as a dependent on your tax return.

R. Klein, EA :

The exemptions of $3900 (in 2012) per person is the "tax deduction" for claiming a person as a dependent which takes this cost of feeding a person into account, effectively. So you either get the dependent exemptions, or you do not. Nothing in between.

R. Klein, EA :

The father cannot legally claim the children as dependents unless a court has mandated such an arrangement, or unless he either provides MORE than 50% of the costs of supporting the dependents OR he paid at least 10% of the support costs and nobody provided at least 50% of such costs and someone gave him written permission to claim his children as dependents.

R. Klein, EA :

So, if a court gave him permission to claim the children as dependents, then there is nothing anyone else can claim as a deduction from income.


Thank you. You answered my question.

R. Klein, EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you