How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15015
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental house that I had to make some repairs to in

This answer was rated:

I have a rental house that I had to make some repairs to in 2012 and did not rent it at all during the year. The repairs are complete and the house was rented in Feb. 2013. I am preparing my 2012 tax return. Can I claim the 2012 expenses and depreciation on my 2012 return?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
If you were making repairs between tenants then yes, you can depreciate and claim the maintenance costs. If you had not placed it for rental on the market (meaning you had to do all this to start renting it out) then you add the costs to the basis of the rental and the day you first placed it on the market is your starting date.

Robin D. :

If that was in 2013 then when you file your 2013 return you start showing the rental. If that date was in 2012 then yes, you can claim it all on 2012.

Robin D. :

It is the start date that you placed in on the market that counts. If you had been renting it out and then had to wait to let another tenant come in you do not stop your depreciation.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions