Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a small business owner. A couple months back I was invited

I am a small business owner. A couple months back I was invited to meet in person I had been having a lot of business dealings with. While meeting with this business associate I had a few beers. I drove home from this meeting and was arrested for DWI. I ended up getting some small fines and community service as a result and never lost driving privileges. I got pulled over initially because I forgot to turn on my headlights when pulling out of a gas station parking lot. My question is if the attorney fees are a business deduction as I was driving a company vehicle while leaving a company meeting. I was not found guilty of this DWI.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Sorry for your situation.
Business expenses are the cost of carrying on a trade or business. These expenses are usually deductible if the business is operated to make a profit.
To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.
Based on information you provided - legal expenses are neither ordinary nor necessary for your trade or business - and may not be deducted as business related.
Sorry if you expected differently.

Customer:

Yah. Thought it was a long shot. Your answers concurs with others. Thanks