Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

Hello- I am a small business and I am getting audited for

I am a small business and I am getting audited for Schedule C, Business expenses, Medical Expenses, and contributions (charity).

I am okay on most of these, but it looks like my tax preparer may have made some mistakes.

I am very worried and wonder if this audit on 2011 will trigger other audits. Also, my tax preparer cannot attend with me.

If I end up owing, are there penalties in addition to interest? Will they make me an offer at the audit? Would the figure they give me be negotiable?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.

First of all, do not worry about this even though it may be upsetting to you.

If you realize that your tax preparer made some mistakes, my best advice to you would be to amend your 2011 tax return to correct the mistakes and submit it as soon as possible. It is always best to come forward with correct information to the IRS, rather than the IRS confronting you about it. You may want to consider consulting with a CPA or Enrolled Agent so he/she will be able to either attend with you or in your place.

If you do end up owing additional taxes, there will be penalties and interest due. They will not make you an offer at the audit. If you do end up owing additional taxes, penalties, and interest, you will be able to request an installment agreement to pay the amount due (if any) or you can make an offer in compromise for a different amount, which the IRS can accept or decline to take depending on the circumstances.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I just go and take my info and see what happens? I can always go back on appeal and hire a new CPA, correct?

Thank you and good luck!