Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Hi, my wife is a US citizen but we moved abroad (as I am not

Hi, my wife is a US citizen but we moved abroad (as I am not from the US) when we got married. She/we never knew she had to continue filing tax returns. She has not worked for most of the time but I now understand she should still have been filing returns. Is this correcT?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Your wife would only need to file a tax return if she had a certain amount of income

Megan C :

I'm sorry your requested professional is not online, by the way.

Megan C :

There is an interactive tool on the IRS website which will help you determine if your wife needs to file a tax return. You can CLICK HERE to access that tool.

Megan C :

If she earned income, she will need to file a tax return if that income is greater than the personal exemption and her standard deduction.

Megan C :

She would also need to file a tax return if her net self employment income is greater than $400.

Megan C :

Do you have more information on your wife's situation?

Megan C :

If she worked abroad, there are tax incentives such as the foreign earned income exclusion that would help lower the income she pays taxes on.

Megan C :

It's very possible that your wife has zero tax liability for the time she did not file.

Megan C :

My first step would be to walk through the IRS tool to determine if a return is even necessary. As I said before, if she earned no money whatsoever, she has no requirement to file a tax return.

Megan C :

However, your wife may have asset reporting requirements. If she is the owner of an account with over $10,000 USD in it, she has to report that to the IRS on form TDF 90-22.1

Megan C :

The FBAR report (the TDF 90-22.1) is accessible, HERE

Megan C :

Her requirement to report on this form is as follows:

1. The United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and

2. The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year to be reported.

Megan C :

So, if at any day during the year the balance in the foreign accounts was $10,001 - she needs to report those accounts to the IRS

Megan C :

You as a nonresident alien have no obligation to report any assets that are solely in your name, and you have no income tax reporting requirement, unless you and your wife elect to treat you as a US person for tax purposes

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this? I will give you a moment to follow up with any additional information you may have.

Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the thorough response Megan. She has not filed for 8 years (since we moved abroad) and she has only worked for 2 of those years and her annual income was less than $10,000.
I have been reading that even if she hasn't got tax to pay that she still has to file a return. Her name is XXXXX XXXXX of my checking accounts and the balance may have crossed $10,000 at some point. Given the situation how can she out things in place now and bring everything up to date. Would we have penalties? We were completely unaware of any of this
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up. To sort things out now,what she needs to do is file any returns that were not filed. Just file the returns for the years where your wife has income and the years where your balance crossed $10,000 in your account file the FBAR returns. This should bring you into compliance. If no tax is due, the penalties are minimal...with the exception of failure to file the FBAR which comes with a very steep penalty. However, I would not bring attention to the late FBAR I would let them contact you if they assess the penalties (known as quiet compliance). If they assess the penalty, then I would request an abatement under the pretense that you did not know of the requirements. Your failure to comply was not intentional by any means.

If you need anything else, please let me know. Otherwise, please rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks so do the fear for any years it crossed 10,000? Also, do you think we will need professional assistance to file the returns or should we just attempt on our own?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks so do we file fbar for any years it crossed 10,000 or just the last year? Also, do you think we will need professional assistance to file the returns or should we just attempt on our own?
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You could certainly enlist the assistance of a CPA or EA who has expat experience to help you with this, if you are not 100% comfortable with the filing of tax forms.

Thanks!

Please don't forget to rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level