Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

For Anne - From my calculations, the house cost basis would

For Anne - From my calculations, the house cost basis would be roughly 20K usd. Does this mean that $55K is taxable and we could potentially have a $12,000 tax bill? This seems crazy to me. It's not like we made millions on the house... My mother's freaking out about this now
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Lane :

Hi, it doesn't look like ANNE is on line right now ... (and I don't have the benefit of your previous question) BUT I bet this has to do with the difference bwtween the gains itself and the TAX ON the gain

Lane :

If 12,000 is the gain (and remember capital gains taxes are lower than ordinary earned income taxes...can even be zero) then the TAX won't be 12,000 you just use the 12,000 to FIGURE the tax

Lane :

The capital gains RATE is based on your ORDINARY income tax rate, and until you get to the 25% ordinary income tax rate the capital gains rate is zero

Lane :

Hi, I was just getting ready to paste in the tax brackets so you could see where you mother is there

Lane :

This is for a single filer:

Lane :

For a single filer

Tax rate

C.Gain rate

taxable income from $0 to $8,925,

10%

0%

taxable income over $8,925 to $36,250,

15%

0%

on taxable income over $87,850 to $183,250

25%

15%

on taxable income over $183,250 to $398,350

28%

15%

33%

15%

on taxable income over $398,350 to $400,000

35%

15%

on taxable income over $400,000

39.6%

20%

Lane :

So, as you can see, her income (if she files as single) would have to be over $87,850 for there to be any capital gains tax at all!

Customer:

thank you for responding

Customer:

i see... i didn't realize there were different rates for cap gains. i thought it was a flat rate of 20%

Customer:

she is filing as married, i would be filing as single

Customer:

what i was worrid about - if i estimate her cost basis as 20K and she sold the home for 75K

Customer:

the tax due would be 11K (55K*20%)

Lane :

Do you know about what her income level is?

Customer:

she is currently unemployed

Lane :

The thetax rate is zero

Customer:

her husband + her combined would probably be i nthe 80K

Lane :

Here are the rates for those filing jointly

Lane :

OH ok hang on

Customer:

regardless of whether she is married or not?

Lane :

and they file jointly right?

Lane :

it's about how they file

Customer:

yes they have been filing jointly

Lane :

ok, then here you go:

Lane :

For a Married filing jointly filer

Tax rate

C.Gain rate

on taxable income from $0 to $17,850

10%

0%

on taxable income over $17,850 to $72,500

15%

0%

on taxable income over $72,500 to $146,400

25%

15%

on taxable income over $146,400 to $223,050

28%

15%

on taxable income over $223,050 to $398,350

33%

15%

on taxable income over $398,350 to $450,000

35%

15%

on taxable income over $450,000

39.6%

20%

Customer:

would it make sense for them to file separately in this case

Lane :

Don't need to By the time t they take their standard OR itemized deduction and personal exemptions their TAXABLE income will be below 72500 which as you can see means a capitla gains rate of ZERO

Customer:

ok... that makes sense

Customer:

thank you so much for your help

Lane :

You're welcome the standard deduction will be $12,200 and they each get 3900 as a personal exemption

Lane :

so they're under...

Customer:

we were really starting to freak out about this

Customer:

yes, i hadn't thought about the deductions and exemptions

Lane :

Was this their personal residence, by any chance?

Customer:

we haven't lived there in over 10 years

Customer:

it was rented out at some point

Lane :

OK, the you are right to be concerned (no personal residence exemption on gain) BUT they're fine any in this case

Customer:

there were also family members who lived there rent free during a period

Customer:

are they obligated to report the sale on their return in an case?

Lane :

again, none of that really matters if he comes in at 80,000 ... because that's nly 60,000 taxable with the exemptions and the standard deduction for Joint filing ... (plenty of wiggle room there)

Lane :

Yes, if this were the residence it would be excluded completely, but here they'll report but by the time myou get to the bottom of the return you'll see that the gains rate that will be applied will be 0%

Lane :

BotXXXXX XXXXXne here is $55,000 x 0% = $0.00 capital gains tax

Lane :

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

BUT please let me know if you have any questions at all ...

Lane

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jesse,

... Just checking back in here, as I never saw you come back into the chat.

And, yes they will need to report the sale.

But what will happen, as long as the ORDINARY earned income stays ANYWHERE around what you think for the joint return, the rate that gets applied to that gains will be Zero, because the personal exemptions and standard deduction will take their TAXABLE income WELL below that $72,500 level.

Let me know if you ave any other questions.

Lane

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your answer. This was very helpful. I rated your answer yesterday also. I will be back if I need anything else.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much!

If you'd like to work with ME again just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question.

Thanks again,
Lane