jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.

I have a vacation rental property in California but live in

I have a vacation rental property in California but live in Texas. Can deduct all of the expenses on the house from the income?

Yes, you can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses of renting the house from any rental income. You can not deduct the expenses for any time that you (or your family) personally used the property for your vacation except for property tax and mortgage interest if you itemize deductions.

When there are both rental and personal uses of a property you will have to separate or prorate (such as based on time used) the expenses and report each in the proper place - Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for personal.

For more information see and

"Special Rule for Limited Rental Use If you use a vacation home as a residence and rent it for fewer than 15 days per year, you do not have to report any of the rental income. Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, may be used to report regularly deductible personal expenses, such as qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and casualty losses."

Please ask if you need more discussion or information.

Thank you.