Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hello, After briefly operating as a Nevada corporation and

Hello, After briefly operating as a Nevada corporation and filing only one required tax return in Tax Year 2000, I ended the corporation and filed 1040 Schedule C between 2001 and 2012 for all business operations, reporting all income. After hearing nothing from the IRS since 2001 or so, I suddenly got a request for a missing 940 form and since have
two requests for quarterly payments (Sept 30, 2012 and December 31, 2012 Tax Periods).This seems odd -- the corporation has received no income, no 1099s, has had no expenses, and no bank account for more than 10 years. What could have triggered this, and how do I get this straightened out?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
I cannot advise what triggered the request but, when you ended the corporation, did you file the final returns and mark as such on the form (that it was a final year)?
Your final 940 form would have a box to marl a well showing that the form was the final. If you still have the copies you could respond with a brief letter advising of the closing date and the date the final forms were filed.

Robin D. :

You could also call the number on the notice and speak with an agent. If you have a CPA or tax professional you may wish to let them handle this for you.

Robin D. :

It is odd that you would receive a notice this late after closing.

Customer:

I don't have income tax records prior to 2005 at this point (using a 7 year requirement). I'll try an agent at the IRS. I assume

Customer:

they can pull up most any record from a computer terminal on their desk to track

Customer:

what has happened?

Robin D. :

Yes they can

Robin D. :

You can also go into your local office of the IRS

Customer:

Well, that should do it. Thanks much.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor