Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Do these states below require ("a must") for a corporation

Do these states below require ("a must") for a corporation to file a consolidated state tax return? 1. Colorado; 2. Kansas; 3. Montana; 4. Utah
Fact: A corporation with 4 other sister companies doing a similar line of business (customer service) and are owned by one single parent company. Do these 5 corporation be forced to file a consolidated state return for the above states? Only 1 company has nexus in those states.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

For Colorado, you would file an election to file a consolidated return, which would be binding for four years. This means that filing a consolidated return is not a must. CLICK HERE to read about the election to file a consolidated return.

Megan C :

In Kansas, "If two or more corporations file a Federal Income Tax return on a consolidated basis, and if each of such

corporations derive all of their income and expenses from sources within Kansas, they must file a consolidated

return for Kansas income tax purposes." So, if there is no nexus in Kansas, no requirement to file a consolidated return. CLICK HERE for more details
Megan C :

In Montana, you cannot file a consolidated return unless you are a unitary business unit, and one of the requirements to be met as such is that the companies operate exclusively in Montana. CLICK HERE for more details.

Megan C :

In Utah, you would file a "waters edge combined report" if a unitary group. You are not a unitary group unless you are interdependent of each other. If the companies are not interdependent, then no need to file a consolidated return. You can read about unitary groups, HERE and about consolidated reporting, HERE

Megan C :

So, it looks like consolidated returns are not required in each of these four states. Please refer to the sources I provided and let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Megan C :

If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Is there anything additional that you need assistance with?

Customer:

Thank you very much for your answers above. Exactly what I was looking for!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Thanks, Kendrick for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sorry: I have 2 more states to ask you: How about AK and ND?

Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Hello, Kendrick

For Alaska, "If this taxpayer and one or more other Alaska taxpayers are included in a consolidated federal return, these same taxpayers must file a consolidated Alaska return if they are members of the same unitary group. If the federal common parent is not an Alaska taxpayer, identify the common parent on Schedule B, question 2." See HERE

For ND, You do not have to file a consolidated return, either. See HERE

Please take a moment to rate this response as well, so that I can receive further credit for assisting you today.