Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

who can be considered a dependent on a FSA

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-favored program offered by employers that allows their employees to pay for eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
The dependents would be the same you are allowed to claim as a dependent on your tax return.

Robin D. :

Example: The Dependent Care (Day Care) Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA), used to pay for eligible dependent care expenses such as child care for children under age 13 or day care for anyone who you claim as a dependent on your Federal tax return who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care so that you (and your spouse, if you are married) can work, look for work, or your spouse can attend school full-time.

Customer:

So if my elderly father is independent and I purchase a medical device or medical services for him-I cannot clain those for reimbursement on my FSA?

Customer:

claim

Robin D. :

If your father is not your dependent then no, you would not be allowed to use the FSA for that purpose unfortunately.

Robin D. :

The dependent for medical as on your Schedule A would need to be used for the FSA requirements too.

Customer:

And what would be required to consider him "my dependent"?

Robin D. :

You have to provide more then half his support, he would not have to live with you (that is special for parents) , and he would not be allowed to have income more than the personal excemption fo rthat tax year.

Customer:

Wonderful. thanks so much for your time. Very clear.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor