Lane
Lane, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

My client is buying a business. Part of the purchase includes

My client is buying a business. Part of the purchase includes janitorial service contracts that typically extend for several years. My question is whether the contracts will be amortized over 15 years, or over the life of the contract. thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Lane :

Lane :

If there is a lump sum being paid, then this is a purchase of goodwill and can be depreciated of 15 years

Lane :

The seller will get capital gains treatment and the buyer depreciates over 15years

Lane :

Here's your citation:

Section 197(a) provides that a taxpayer is entitled to an amortization deduction
with respect to any amortizable section 197 intangible. The amount of the deduction is
determined by amortizing the adjusted basis (for purposes of determining gain) of the
intangible ratably over the 15-year period beginning with the month in which the
intangible was acquired.

Lane :

Hope you're doing well Christine ... good to see you again ... questions ? ... (This is always one where it's fun to answer for the seller and not so fun for the buyer :)

Lane :

Sorry, that had the code citation, but the revenue ruling was 2004 - 49 ... www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-04-49.pdf‎

Lane :

... still don't see you coming into the chat here ... I'll move us to "Q&A." in the event you have questions ... Let me know

Lane :

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi Christine,

... just checking back in here.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Lane
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Lane; sorry I missed your chat. I often don't get these relays on a timely basis for some reason. Don't I want to differentiate between the service contracts and goodwill? Right now, the purchase is broken into the following categories:

1. Non-compete covenant

2.Goodwill

3.Equipment

4. Inventory

5. Service Contracts

Thank you for your assistance on this.

Chris

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Sure, here's the breakdown:

Again, GOODWILL

Seller: If held for more than one year, is long-term capital gain

Buyer: Amortize over 15 years

EQUIPMENT (trade fixtures, furniture, equipment):

Seller: If held more than one year, the gains in excess of depreciation are long-term capital gain; otherwise ordinary income

Buyer: Establishes basis, depreciate per IRS schedules

COVENANT NOT TO COMPETE (include time and distance of covenant):

Seller: Ordinary income as received

Buyer: Amortize over 15 years GOODWILL Seller: If held for more than one year, is long-term capital gain Buyer: Amortize over 15 years

INVENTORY

Seller: Ordinary income, to the extent that it is over basis

Buyer: Treated as "cost of goods sold" upon sale of products Customer Lists (Contracts) Seller: Ordinary income as received Buyer: Amortize over 15 years

CUSTOMER LIST (Service contracts)

Seller: Ordinary income as received

Buyer: Amortize over 15 years

Here's a great reference:

http://www.bizquest.com/resource/allocation_of_purchase_price-75.html

Lane

Positive feedback, highly appreciated.

BUT ... Questions? ... Come back here

Lane, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Lane
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Christine,

Lane