Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

A client is undergoing a IRS audit. The client is having a

A client is undergoing a IRS audit. The client is having a difficult time supporting the mileage claimed in schedule C. He does have actual expenses and has never depreciated 4 vehicles.

My question: Can he now go back and amend the return and claim actual expenses?
ie depreciation, gas, repairs ets?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.

Your client can amend taxes filed up to 3 years from the filing deadline, and it would be beneficial to tell the auditor that is your client's intention. The amendment can either be mailed to the IRS or given directly to the auditor at the review meeting. The audit will then likely get postponed/delayed.

Please be aware, however, that your client can utilize Form 1040X, but will have to provide substantiating documentation for the changes as well as a sworn statement. Any amendment without such documentation will probably get rejected and trigger additional audits.

Please also be aware that the IRS is not required to accept your client's amendment while being under an audit examination. Even though the IRS claims that an amendment assists in the data review process, the IRS has the discretion to accept or reject it and determine its own independent calculations.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi, Lewis.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating and very generous bonus. Both are most appreciated.

If you have any questions in the future, please put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family, friends and colleagues are also always appreciated.

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Barb