Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am getting married in a month and my spouse is going to continue

I am getting married in a month and my spouse is going to continue to work for her current employer who resides 3 hrs away from our home. She will be working from a home office 2-3 days a week, and be home for weekends and holidays. She is also required to travel to different locations attending conferences throughout the world averaging 14 days per quarter. I am trying to figure out if her tax home would be considered our residence and if we could deduct travel expenses, including renting an apart where she could stay while at work, meals, gas, etc. Is this something we could use as a tax deductable on our joint taxes? If it is any help I make approximately 70% of our combined income at our residence. Thanks in advance.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

In her situation she will have her tax home where her normal workplace is located.

Robin D. :

This means that when she is traveling from home to work and staying there no expenses would count unfortunately.

Robin D. :

However

Robin D. :

when she travels away from there for the conferences and other travel, she would be allowed expenses for travel and meals not reimbursed.

Robin D. :

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals, or lodging in Milwaukee because that is your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago is not for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located.

Robin D. :

If her main place of work is from home and not just for her convience then she could claim the travel.

Robin D. :

Her working from home would need to be for the convience of the employer and not her.

Customer:

So if she spends 50% of her time working from home, 20% traveling, and the remaining 30% at her office away from home would that qualify?

Robin D. :

The reason would have to be taht she works from home because the employer wants it that way. Is that why?

Customer:

Yes, her employer has requested that she work from home where she lives now, so I would say that is a true statement.

Robin D. :

Then the office at home is her main place and travel expenses would be allowed. No rental on a place to the other loction though because she would need to be away from home overnight. In othe rwords so far away she could not realistically get back home.

Robin D. :

I would be leary of justifying that for the expense.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your help.

Robin D. :

She could use mileage when traveling there, office in home expense, and of course the travel when going away for the others.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor