Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Is a medical expense made on behalf of an adult child tax

Is a medical expense made on behalf of an adult child tax deductable?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

How old is the adult child?

Megan C :

By default, parents can deduct the medical expenses of their children under the age of 27 even if they are not on their healthcare plan, and even if the child is not listed as a dependent on the tax return.

Megan C :

There are also criteria that can be met so that children over that age can have their expenses deducted.

Megan C :

Also, if you are able to claim your adult child as a dependent on your tax return, you can deduct medical expenses.

Megan C :

To be a "qualifying relative" you must provide over 1/2 of the child's total support, and they cannot earn more than the exemption amount during the year.

Customer:

The adult child is 43

Megan C :

Okay thank you for that further information. Do you provide over 1/2 of this adult child's total support?

Customer:

NO

Megan C :

If you do not provide over 1/2 of their total support, then you cannot claim their expenses as a deduction. If you did provide over 1/2 of their total support you could deduct the medical expenses, even if you could not otherwise claim them as a dependent because they earned too much money.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry if this information is not favorable to your situation.

Megan C :

Did you know that you can also claim the medical expenses of your parents or grandparents, if you provide more than 1/2 of their support? That may be worth looking into if you have elderly parents.

Megan C :

Here's a good article on the topic: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/beat-the-system-to-claim-medical-expense-deduction-2013-07-23

Customer:

I just gave her $700 for a medical procedure. If I had written the check directly to the doctor would that have made a tax difference?

Megan C :

No, it would not. If you provided more than 1/2 her total support it would have been deductible either way. The key here is that you do not provide over 1/2 of her total support

Customer:

OK I got it...thanks for your information. Bye Larry B.

Megan C :

Okay, Larry

Megan C :

If you would please rate my response as "excellent"

Megan C :

So that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Larry for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be appreciated, as it will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.