Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I worked in Massachusetts and north Carolina in 2012. I made

Customer Question

I worked in Massachusetts and north Carolina in 2012. I made 32,000 in Massachusetts and about 17 in North Carolina. My question is, when I did my taxes on H&R Block tax program, I was charged the full amount of taxes (49,000) by North Carolina for income earned. I was only charged the 32,000 by Mass for state income. What this has caused is me owing about 400 to NC based on total income earned in 2012. I thought I should be taxed by Mass for income earned in that state (32,000) and taxed by NC for income earned in that state (17,000) not charged by both states for full amount??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Were you a NC resident for the entire year?

Megan C :

If you were a North Carolina resident for the entire year, then it is appropriate to pay tax on 100% of your income earned for the year

Customer :

I was a resident for only three months (Oct - Dec 2012)

Megan C :

If you were a NC resident while you earned NC revenue, and a MA resident when you earned income there then you should only pay tax on your NC sourced income in NC and your MA sourced income in MA

Megan C :

So, while you were a resident you pay tax on 100% of the income there

Customer :

That's what I thought but the H&R block tax program is taxing me on all income earned in both states and not just the NC portion

Megan C :

Yes, I'm not sure what you would do in the actual software, but I can tell you what you should be taxed on.

Customer :

Thanks, I will figure out what is going on.

Megan C :

It's probably a box checked somewhere or something simple like that.

Megan C :

I'm sure if you call HR Block tech support they should be able to assist

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can be of assistance with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Robert

I see where you got lost in our live chat. Do you have further questions for me? If so, please reply below. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued justanswer.com customer.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer