Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hi There! I currently work as a 1099-contractor for a company.

Hi There! I currently work as a 1099-contractor for a company. When I put in my bid for an hourly rate, I thought that they would reimburse me my mileage one way to the site and meals. However, this is not the case because I am domicile. Can I claim the standard mileage rate one-way and the standard per diem rate for my lunches as a business expense? Or should I ask to renegotiate my rate to include both?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
You can claim the expense for the mileage (for tax purposes) but the meals would only be allowed if you were away from your regular place of business overnight.

Customer:

Thank you. The mileage expense would put me in a negative profit unless I do not come to the contractor site often which they do not agree upon. In this case, I advised they are coming close to being a W-2 employee if I was needed in an office 4 days per week versus as I choose. Is this path of thought correct?

Customer:

Also, for my lunches - I often have these with upper management so in this case it is not considered a business meal even though it is not overnight?

Robin D. :

Yes, the rules for determining employee versus contractor would be closer based on the requirements of your presence.

Robin D. :

If you are paying to take out the potential business contacts or the clients you have yes but not just paying for your own lunch with them.

Customer:

Perfect. Thank you so much! I will try to negotiate my rates to perhaps at least my mileage. If that does not work, then I will write off the remaining - just to keep track of my mileage for my personal/business vehicle, correct?

Robin D. :

Yes, a record of the mileage would be required.

Robin D. :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.

Customer:

Thanks again!

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor