How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental property that I cant get all taxes paid up.

This answer was rated:

I have a rental property that I can't get all taxes paid up. How much can I be in arrears so that that balance can be paid off during time of sale (when I sell it not tax sale)? I thought the amount was $10,000 and aside from interest the county can't issue a tax sale. Or is it that end of tax year all amount in arrears can not be more than 1 year old? Also, what are implications on my credit if I do this, if any?



Each state has different laws for how delinquent tax sales and liens are done.



"New Jersey law requires all 566 municipalities to hold at least one tax sale per year, if the municipality has delinquent property taxes and/or municipal charges. You can obtain information on upcoming tax sales by contacting the tax collector in the municipality in question, or from the web site of the Tax Collectors & Treasurers Association of New Jersey: More detailed information on the tax sale process in New Jersey can be found at

In New Jersey, property taxes are a continuous lien on the real estate. Property taxes are due in four installments during the year: February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1. Delinquency on a property may accrue interest at up to 8 per cent for the first $1,500 due, and 18 per cent for any amount over $1,500. If the amount of delinquency on a property exceeds $10,000 at the end of the municipal fiscal year, the municipality may charge up to a 6 per cent year penalty.


At the tax sale, title to the delinquent property itself is not sold.

What is sold is a tax sale certificate, a lien on the property."

So it is not that a sale does not happen unless the balance is $10,000 but that a penalty can be applied on that amount of tax due. The sale can happen after one year (though it is not clear if the locality has a choice of exactly when, to me).

What all happens to your credit is somewhat beyond my expertise, but the lien does have to be recorded by the purchaser. Whether or not, and when, that will be reported to the credit agencies is not clear. The lien is on the property and not on all of your other property like an income tax lien. That means it may not have much impact or may not even get on your individual credit report.


"Redeeming Tax Sale Certificates
Once a lien has been placed on a parcel, the only persons able to redeem that lien are the owner, his/her heirs, the holder or a prior outstanding tax lien certificate, mortgage, or legal occupant of property sold at a tax sale; and may only redeem until the right to redeem has been cut off.

Payment to redeem a lien must be made in full by cash or certified funds, to the tax collector's office. Once the redemption has occurred; the tax collector will notify the lien holder of payment. They will return the original certificate back to the collector endorsed for cancellation. Upon receipt of the cancelled certificate, the redemption funds will be released to the lien holder.

When the collector receives this cancelled certificate they will send it to the party that redeemed the lien. It is their responsibility to have this lien removed from the property at the county office.

Un-redeemed Liens:
If a lien that has been sold to outside bidder is not redeemed within 2 years from the date of sale, that bidder now has the right to begin foreclosure proceedings.

If a lien that has been struck off to the municipality is not paid, the municipality has the right to an In Rem Foreclosure 6 months after the date of sale."

The best source of more detailed information is the county or city tax collector of the location of the rental property. They can tell you more precisely when in the year each part of the process occurs.

Please ask if you need more discussion or clarification.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok but Im unclear if I can carry a tax balance and of how much and wht the risks are? I would like to carry the balance, keep paying taxes in arrears but carry the balance so it can be resolved at time of sale.

Hello again,


If you do not pay your taxes each year the tax collector can sell a tax lien on the property, for any balance.

If you do not pay the lien within two years the holder of the lien can begin foreclosure proceedings.

If the balance is more than $10,000 a six percent penalty in addition to interest can apply.


So you can stay one year behind; but for the amount involved this seems to be little reward for much risk, in my opinion. Of course, you choose your own risk.


Hope that clarifies for you.

jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3159
Experience: I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience