Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

my wife and myself filed jointly and i wasnt working and not

my wife and myself filed jointly and i wasnt working and not collecting either for the whole year ,she owed the irs about 6000$ ,i recently got back to work can they levy me or just take money out of my account?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.

Based on the information contained in your question, since you filed jointly with your wife, my best advice to you would be to request an installment payment arrangement with the IRS and make monthly payments for the amount due to avoid any collection activity by the IRS.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Hi, Simon.

I see you are now offline.

The following is additional information regarding installment payment agreements with the IRS:,-Installment-Agreements

I would suggest you set up this payment arrangement with the IRS as soon as possible. Please note that the IRS will usually accept a monthly payment amount that you can afford.

Please come back to me here if you have any follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your reply Barbara, my wife said she sent an offer to the irs about 2 weeks ago and hasnt heard back yet and my concern is my truck to get to work and back is(NNN) NNN-NNNNmls and old i definately have to get something reliable and wish to try and save a bit from each paycheck in my bank, but the thought of my hard earned dollars being whisked from my account is worrying me

Hi, Simon.

I understand your concern. My advice would be for you or your wife to call the IRS as soon as possible and follow-up with them regarding the status of the payment arrangements. It may take a while to get through to a human, but it will be worth it.

Depending on how far along the IRS collection process is concerning this outstanding amount, i.e., have you received a notice of intent to levy or something similar, determines the urgency of getting this resolved.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Hello again, Simon.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956 or Barb" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Thanks again and best regards,