MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

Hello. Hopefully I will not confuse you with my question. My

Hello. Hopefully I will not confuse you with my question.

My sister left a Accounting & Tax Service earlier this year. The partner she was with is refusing to give her any client files that she was the preparer and ERO on. What laws are there that each client does not have to burdened with this so that we can run my sisters new Accounting & Tax Service soothly and within the IRS Compliance Regulations? Please help as we are confused.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

Sorry there is no shortcut. The client files belong to the firm, not the preparer. To obtain the information each client must sign a release allowing access of the information to the successor preparer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is understandable, but we also have an issue that they are ommitting documents such as 8879, DCN's, and some state returns. By law, isnt she requred to give the clients those documents, too? If so, what can we do?

Hi Tammy -

The signed 8879's belong to the firm. There is no reason to release them to a successor. They are for the firm to prove that they received a signed form before e-filing. In theory, the firm/preparer included an unsigned copy with the client's copy when the return was prepared.

The client should have received copies of state returns when the returns were prepared. There is no requirement that a firm release information to anyone other than the client, but as a courtesy most are accommodating. You may need to get additional information from the client or make a second request.

DCN's are specific to the firm and there is no reason to release them.